A radical degree of freedom in dose delivery
TomoHelical combines 360-degree fan-beam delivery of intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and megavoltage CT (MVCT) imaging. During treatment delivery, the linear accelerator completes multiple 360-degree rotations around the patient, while the couch passes through the center bore of the system.
Simplicity & speed
- Continuous high-dose rate delivery enables for shorter beam-on times than most other radiation treatment systems.
- Field lengths of to up to 135cms can be treated with no field junctions or patient repositioning.
- Simultaneous irradiation of multiple target volumes.
Unmatched precision & dose fall-off
- 360-degree treatment delivery provides highly conformal, uniform dose distribution while minimizing dose to surrounding normal structures.
- TomoEDGE™ Dynamic Jaws dynamically conform to a target in the craniocaudal direction, producing share dose fall-off for precise sparing of normal tissue and increased throughput.
- IMRT Planning Mode simultaneously modulates the beam along and across the treatment volume(s).
An ideal clinical solution for routine and complex indications
The Radixact® and TomoTherapy® platforms offer both 3D-CRT (TomoDirect) and IMRT (TomoHelical™) modalities, providing unique flexibility to treat the spectrum of prostate cancer cases with exceptionally high accuracy and normal tissue sparing—from a single platform.
TomoEdge™ Dynamic Jaws
Total scheduled procedure time averages 10-15 minutes* with TomoEdge™ dynamic jaws
*Includes set-up, full 3D imaging and average beam-on time of 4.5 minutes. Total procedure times are approximate and based on internal Accuray test data. Times may vary with various clinical situations.
“This preliminary report confirms the feasibility of HT in a large number of patients. We observed that HT is associated with low rates of acute and late toxicities, and HT in combination with relatively long-term ADT (androgen deprivation therapy) results in excellent short-term bDRS (biochemical disease-free survival).”
Preliminary results of intensity-modulated radiation therapy with helical tomotherapy for prostate cancer
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2012 Nov; 138(11)1931-6.
Tomita N, Soga N, Ogura Y, Hayashi N, Shimizu H, Kubota T, Ito J, Hirata K, Ohshima Y, Tachibana H, Kodaira T.
Prostate with Nodes Plan
- Planning time: 5 minutes 4 seconds
- Field width: 2.5 cm
- Helical pitch: 0.43
- Number of gantry rotations: 13
- Couch travel: 14 cm
- Final dose grid resolution: fine
Pelvic Case – Prostate
BEAM-ON TIME: 4 MINUTES
Pelvic Case – Prostate with Nodes
BEAM-ON TIME: 5 MINUTES
Connect with a IMRT expert.
See additional plan examples and get the answers you need.